Yet another day passes by, another Jelly Bean update to a Samsung Galaxy device. Todays treats: Telus Galaxy SII X (also known as SGH-T989D and previously Hercules). I thought Samsung has forgotten this device already, but after seeing T-Mobile’s Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 version getting Jelly Bean last week, I already knew that Telus will come up later since both variants are identical to each other. This update is now live via Samsung Kies, all you need to do is download the latest Kies from Samsung website, then make sure your device is fully charge, connect your Galaxy S2 to the computer then check if the update is available.
Here’s the screenshot, as reported by Mobile Syrup
One more thing, your device should not rooted prior to get this update or you will be facing update failure issues from Kies. Kies is smarter now, it can read your device for any modification made. Anyway, the stock 4.1.2 T989DTLUMC4 is available below if you knew how to manually flash it directly to your device. You will lose root once this official firmware installed, but this version can be rooted using latest SuperSU.
Stock 4.1.2 T989DTLUMC4 Download
Odin back to stock:
– Back up all important files before proceeding. Although the Internal memory and microSD card are both left alone during after the flash process for this firmware is a non wipe version. But all your settings and configuration will all be reset. So, be sure to have a back up all of it for safety.
– If your device currently runs with any custom ROM, you may ask any assistance first from your ROM developer on how to safely return back to official stock to get rid of any issues. Mostly, you need to back-up your current ROM via custom recovery CWM or TWRP, then perform “Wipe Data/Dalvik cache” before proceeding.
– Fully recharge your phone’s battery.
– Use Windows-based OSX PC/laptop, Odin will not work on MAC OSX
1) “Extract” or “unzip” the downloaded stock ROM to get the .tar.md5 file.
2) Run Odin3_v3.07.exe on PC desktop
3) In Odin – DO NOT CHECK the RE-PARTITION check box, only both ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F-Reset’ left checked.
4) Click on the PDA button then browse to the folder where you extracted the stock “tar file”
5. Reboot the phone in download mode: To reboot the Galaxy S3 into download mode , you need to turn the power off. After it completely shut off, just press and hold the Volume Down key, Home button and the Power ON/OFF button simultaneously.
You’ll then need to press the Volume Up to continue. You’ll be prompted into a warning screen and asking you to press “volume up” if you want to continue or volume down to cancel, just simply press volume up to get into download mode. The download mode then displays an Android robot and say’s “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”
5) Once the phone in download mode screen, connect the PC USB cable To Phone. In Odin, the ID:COM box will change its color and its an indication that the device is connected properly to PC. If you still do not get any results, try another USB port on your computer.
6) Click the Start button to begin flashing.
7) Wait until it finishes or watch out for the word “PASS”.
Once the phone completely reboots, perform wipe/factory reset to get a fresher firmware installation.
1. Hold Power and Volume Up together, this will switch the device into recovery mode.
2. Release Power after holding it for a second but continue to hold the Volume Up button until recovery menu appears.
Select wipe cache
Select wipe data/factory reset.
That’s all! Your Samsung Galaxy S II X SGH-T989 now fully installed or restored to the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.