Sprint Galaxy S4 (L720) official Android 4.3 update build L720VPUEMK2 stock firmware is now available for those who have had root, custom ROM and recovery and wants to return back their Galaxy S4 to complete stock or official firmware. The L720VPUEMK2 build fixes the sleep mode issues found from previous 4.3 L720VPUEMJA. This firmware update was rolled out on Novemeber 30, 2013 and still includes KNOX and Samsung Galaxy Gear compatibility support.
The stock firmware is for those who did not get this update through ‘OTA’ over-the-air or even Kies and had faced issues like “Software Update Failed” or “This device is not supported with kies” and similar errors. So again, if you want to get th 4.3 update just simply grab the 4.3 stock firmware below. One more thing, the 4.3 update now equipped with a secured bootloader, there is a circumstances that you cannot install back to older software update version, for this breaks the bootloader image once gets re-written. So make sure to be aware with that if you are planning to install any ROMs that still based on 4.1.2 or 4.2.2. If you are also rooted then you’ll lose root once the 4.3 installation has made that’s because official firmwares wipes-out any modification you have installed in your device.
Upgrade Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 to Official Android 4.3 L720VPUEMK2 (Odin method)
Disclaimer: This method is used by developers and advanced users only. If ever this is your first time heard about this procedure, please make a careful research first before proceeding. We shall not be held any responsibility if anything happens to your device from using this guide.
Warning: This stock ROM is only compatible for Samsung Galaxy S4 with SPH-L720 (Sprint) specific model only. Do not ever try to use this firmware on other Samsung Galaxy S4 variants.
Q: Will I lost root using this method?
A: Yes, this will restore your device into official firmware.
Q: Can I install root again once upgraded to this version?
A: Yes, this firmware build can be rooted, but there is now a new KNOX security platform hidden inside the system that now completely voids the warranty of your device once gets tripped by means of rooting or installing any custom recovery. This sets “KNOX warranty Void: 0×1 from 0×0″ (You can see this when you set your device in download mode). This cannot be reset by any hacking method except by Samsung service personnel using a special tool ob-course.
Grab the original L720VPUEMK2 Stock Firmware:
Odin downloader – Odin3_v3.09
USB Driver – Drivers are here
Model number – SPH-L720
Android Version – 4.3
Baseband Version L720VPUEMK2
Kernel Version – 3.4.0-1927016
Build Number – JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2
Hardware version – L720.08
Download link or another download link
Before you proceed prepare the necessary things as follows:
– Create a back-up all your personal data, like: Contacts, Messages, Applications, Pictures and Videos, so that you will not lost it just in-case something might went wrong after the update.
– Make sure that the phone’s battery is fully charge to ensure stability and avoid power failure issues while updating.
– Close all softwares, such as KIES suite, Antivirus, firewalls, to prevent the possible conflicts.
– Prepare a personal computer or laptop with Windows OS
1) Extract the downloaded firmware or stock ROM. Use winzip, 7zip, winrar or any decompressing program you have in your computer.
2) Run Odin Downloader v3.07 flasher program.
3) Just click on the PDA button then select and load the binary image.
DO NOT check ‘Re-Partition’ option.
leave these checked: Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes.
4) Reboot the Galaxy S4 into Download Mode: Turn it Off first. Now Press and hold the Volume Down, HOME and Power ON button at the same time). You will then presented into a “Warning Message” screen, just press the Volume Up to continue. Once the Android robot and a “Downloading” message appears.
5) Connect USB data cable to Phone. The ID:COM box will highlight and turn to a bluish color when the phone is properly connected and already recognized with Odin.
6) Tick the ‘START’ button when all is set and ready to begin flashing.
7) DO NOT Interrupt, touch nor do anything when the phone is already in flashing progress mode. You’ll messed up the phone if you accidentally interfere the installation. Wait until a word “PASS” appears on the left side of the Odin screen, it is an indication that the installation successfully completes. (If you get failed errors, check the USB connection condition, repeat the whole process)
8.Wait until the phone completely reboots, then unplug it from PC.
Do factory reset again after flashing.
This is only optional just in-case you’ll experience bootloops and lag issues after flashing.
Press and hold Volume Up+ Home+Power button, then select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset, to gain a fresh firmware installed.