Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) official Android 5.0.1 update, build number L720VPUGOK3. The L720VPUGOK3 update is quite similar to the previous release build L720VPUGOH1, but it is said to bring the global roaming supports some unmentioned bug fixes and a security patch update. This update has been officially rolled out and was started on 18th of December 2015. This L720VPUGOK3 stock firmware has just been released for those who have had root, custom ROM and recovery and wants to return back their Galaxy S4 L720 to complete stock or official firmware.
L720VPUGOK3 5.0.1 Update Technical Details:
Device Name: Samsung Galaxy S 4
Model number: SPH-L720
Android Version: 5.0.1 (Lollipop)
Baseband Version: L720VPUGOK3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-4745659
Build Number: LRX22C.L720VPUGOK3
Build date: November 18, 2015
Release date: December 18, 2015
- Sprint Global Roaming
- Security Updates
- Bug Fixes
Download L720VPUGOK3 5.0.1 Stock Firmware:
|Build version||Android version||Firmware|
Previous Updates: (Do not downgrade from 5.0.1 Lollipop back to Android 4.4.2 KitKat)
|Build version||Android version||Firmware|
Older Android 4.3 and 4.2.2 Jellybean updates:
|Build version||Android version|
|L720VPUEMK2||4.3 Jelly Bean|
|L720VPUEMJA||4.3 Jelly Bean|
|L720VPUAMF9||4.2.2 Jelly Bean|
|L720VPUAMDL||4.2.2 Jelly Bean|
How to Restore and Upgrade Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 to Official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop L720VPUGOK3 (Odin method)
Disclaimer: This method is used by Android developers and advanced users only. If ever this is your first time heard about this procedure, please make a careful research first before proceeding. We shall not be held any responsibility if anything happens to your device from using this guide. Proceed at your own risk!
Warning: This stock ROM is only compatible for Samsung Galaxy S4 with SPH-L720 (Sprint) specific model only. Do not ever try to use this firmware on other Samsung Galaxy S4 variants.
Q: Will I lose root once using this method?
A: Yes, this will restore your device into official firmware.
Q: Can I install root again once upgraded to this version?
A: Yes, this firmware build can be rooted using CF-Auto-root, but be aware about the new KNOX security platform hidden inside the system that completely voids the warranty of your device once gets tripped by means of rooting or installing any custom recovery. This sets “KNOX warranty Void: 0×1 from 0×0″ (You can see this when you set your device in download mode).
Before you proceed prepare these necessary things as follows so you’ll not screw-up your phone:
– If your phone is currently rooted or runs with custom ROM, including custom recovery and modified kernel and any other unsigned system images, you may need to perform a full wipe data cache first.
– Create a backup all your personal data, such as contacts, messages, applications, pictures and videos, so that you will not lose it just in case something might go wrong after the update.
– Make sure that your Galaxy S4 battery is fully re-charge to ensure stability and to get rid pf power failure issues while updating.
– Prepare a PC as this method will not work on MAC.
Odin Flashing Procedures:
Odin downloader – Odin3_v3.09
USB Driver – Drivers are here
1) Extract the downloaded firmware or stock ROM, just use any decompressing program you have in your computer.
2) Run Odin Downloader v3.09 flasher program.
3) Just click on the PDA button then select and load the binary image.
DO NOT check ‘Re-Partition’ option.
leave these checked: Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes.
4) Reboot the Galaxy S4 into Download Mode: Turn it Off first. Now Press and hold the Volume Down, HOME and Power ON button at the same time). You will then presented into a “Warning Message” screen, just press the Volume Up to continue. Once the Android robot and a “Downloading” message appears.
5) Connect USB data cable to Phone. The ID:COM box will highlight and turn to a bluish color when the phone is properly connected and already recognized with Odin.
6) Tick the ‘START’ button when all is set and ready to begin flashing.
7) DO NOT Interrupt, touch nor do anything when the phone is already in flashing progress mode. You’ll messed up the phone if you accidentally interfere the installation. Wait until a word “PASS” appears on the left side of the Odin screen, it is an indication that the installation successfully completes. (If you get failed errors, check the USB connection condition, repeat the whole process)
8.Wait until the phone completely reboots, then unplug it from PC.
Do a factory reset again after flashing. This is only optional just in case you’ll experience bootloop and lag issues after flashing. To perform a factory reset, just press and hold Volume Up+ Home+Power button, then select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset, to gain a fresh firmware installed.
How to Root L720VPUGOK3 5.0.1
To root the L720VPUGOK3 5.0.1 update, you may use CF-Auto-Root which can be found here. This root method has been tested to work with the previous Android 5.0.1 update. If you might have used it before you may simply load it again in Odin’s PDA button. But for those who did not root the phone before, you might need to know that rooting will trip KNOX security flag counter and it voids the phone’s service warranty. So make sure to gather more info and make a careful research first before diving into the plunge.