Here’s a step by step tutorial on how to manually upgrade your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to Official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich using the firmware build ICS 4.0.3 I9100XXLPQ . This firmware was released recently in Sweden and other Nordic countries, Poland, Hungary, Korea and Baltic states.
Some Features and Changes of the I9100XXLPQ Official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
– 3D Animation effects while swiping in Home screen and in Drawer
– Touchwiz 4 UI interface
– Touch sensitivity improved, lags fixes
– Gyro is working
– More faster and stabler firmware
– A lot better user experience than the previous Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread
How to update or upgrade the Samsung Galaxy S2 to official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
1. Update through Kies or OTA (over the air).
You need to have Kies installed on your PC and then kies will automatically do the job to upgrade your device once already connected into your computer. The over the air (OTA) update will also just send you a notification message when the firmware is already rolled out, or you can activate it manually from your device settings.
Updating through Kies will sometimes not tend to work,
and only gets this message “this phone can not be updated via Kies” when you have tried to connect your phone on Kies.
Now, here’s a few circumstances that probably might caused the issue and why Kies won’t let you upgrade or find any available firmware into you phone.
– You have your Galaxy S2 runs or installed with a custom ROMs, modified and or any unofficial firmware.
– Your Galaxy S2 is rooted, Kies ignores a rooted devices.
– The firmware update is not already released in your country.
2. Manually upgrade using Odin.
This procedure is considered risky and should not be taken slightly. But this is very useful when Kies ignored you from upgrading your Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich. Advance users used this method instead of Kies, for they always modified their Galaxy S2 to any available custom ROMs developed by 3rd party android developers. The following instructions below will show you a simple step by step guide on how to do it.
Disclaimer: Use this method and procedures at your own risk! We shall not held responsible if something happens to your device by following this guide.
Do the following preparation before flashing.
– Ensure that the battery is fully charge. A power failure will cause a fatal error in your device.
– Make a back-up copy of all the important files stored from the phone. Your saved contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), Apps, bookmarks and etc. will be deleted after flashing. Although the firmware file we are using on this guide is a non-wipe version, meaning – your important files will remain and will not be cleared, but it is very important to have a back-up copy just in-case something went wrong while flashing.
– You need to have the Samung Kies installed in your PC or download the Samsung driver, just to ensure that the USB driver for Galaxy S2 is also installed. But disable it when you are about to upgrade using Odin, for it will interrupt the flashing process.
– You have a PC or laptop that runs in Windows OS, Odin will only work on Windows operating system. Ensure that it has a good USB serial port 100% working.
– Use a good USB cable wire that is built for Galaxy S2.
– Grab Odin downloader tool.
– Download the original I9100XXLPQ stock firmware. Make sure to select the right firmware according to your country or region. European countries can use the Poland stock ROM with CSC file I9100OXALPQ for it supports all European languages. As for this guide, we used the Poland firmware. The default language is Polski but you can change it into your local language after flashing or installing.
Note: These stock ROM is for Samsung Galaxy S2 with product code GT-I9100 only. Do not ever attempt to flash this ROM on any other US, Canada and Australia Galaxy S2 variants like the following.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket HD SGH-i727
- Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100G
- China Telecom Samsung I929 Galaxy S II Duos
- Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE SHV-E120S
- Virgin Mobile and Bell in Canada Samsung Galaxy S II 4G SGH-T959V
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Attain SGH-I777
- T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989, Samsung Hercules
- Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710, Samsung Within
- Telus Samsung Galaxy S II X SGH-T989D.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I927, Samsung Gidim
- Rogers Samsung Galaxy S II LTE SGH-i727R
You should check first your device’s model number in Settings » About phone. or type this code *#1234#.
Stock Firmware Downloads: Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 Firmware
Nordic Countries – Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden
Baltic Countries – Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania
United Kingdom (Three/3)
Product Code: GT-I9100LKASLK
I9100XXLPQ Languages (European Firmware):
- Deutsh (3 different)
- English (6 different)
- Espanõl (2 different)
- Francais (2 different)
- Nederlands (2 different)
- (note may contain errors)
How to Manually Install or Flash I9100XXLPQ ICS 4.0.3 on Galaxy S2 GT-9100.
Installing the stock firmware I9100XXLPQ on the galaxy S2 is just simpler for advance users but a little bit risky for beginners. Just follow the guide correctly and do some extra precautions and your safe to go.
To have smooth firmware flashing in Odin, do a factory reset first on your device, just ensure that you already have a back-up copy of all your important files stored from the device.
1. Extract the I9100XXLPQ_I9100OXALPQ_XEO.zip firmware packaged after downloading, so that you can get the tar.md5 file like this: I9100XXLPQ_I9100OXALPQ_I9100XXLPQ_HOME.tar.md5.
You’ll also get the SS_DL.dll file ( we don’t use it but don’t delete it for it is the Odin build driver for the specific I9100XXLPQ firmware)
2. Run Odin downloader tool v1.85 on your PC desktop.
3. Now, simply click the PDA button in Odin then select and load the
I9100XXLPQ_I9100OXALPQ_I9100XXLPQ_HOME.tar.md5. unto it.
(Do not mark the Re-partition check box)
4. Set your galaxy S2 into Download Mode: Turn it Off first. Don’t connect it to PC yet. Once completely shut-down, Press and hold the Volume Down, Home and Power button) at the same time. A message will then tell you that the device is in downloading mode.
5. Connect your Galaxy S2 to PC, The ID:COM box will turn to yellow color and a word ‘Added!! will display on Odin log box, indicates that device is now properly connected and recognized with Odin.
( if that certain messages wouldn’t show up, check the USB connection, driver installation again for you will get an error massage or flashing failure occurs).
6. Once all set and ready, hit he “START” button to begin flashing.
Do not touch anything that might interrupt the process to avoid any fatal errors or failures, it may ruin your device if any interruption occurs while already in flashing status.
7. It may only takes about 3 to 5 minutes, depends of your PC.laptop speeds. A word “PASS” will display in Odin once it finishes. If somehow you will not get the word “PASS” or just stuck in along time. Disconnect the phone, remove battery, re-insert it, check the USB connection, re-install the driver, disable Kies and any anti-virus. Set the phone in Download mode again, and repeat the whole procedure.
The phone will just automatically reboots if the firmware flashing successfully completes. Just wait until it boots up on the “S” logo for a while then into an android update screen. If it still shows boot logo try rebooting and if it stays there. You need to wipe your phone.
Boot in recovery mode – press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power button. Use volume keys to select up and down and power or home key to select the option.
Confirm your fresh firmware installed by typing *#1234# or
Go to Settings>About Phone>Firmware info.
Check and reconfigure your APN settings when data networks connection issues encountered.
Change the default text to your desired language.
That’s it! You have now your Galaxy S2 runs in official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.