T-Mobie Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999 just received another OTA update with build number T999UVLJ4. Guess what? It’s still an Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich not a 4.1.1 Jelly Bean folks. Yes! this update brings some bug fixes and issues from previous builds T999UVLH2, T999UVLG1 and T999UVLEM. According from T-Mobile this is a mandatory update that resolved some issues like the Media Hub playback and Pinch & Zoom backend changes. Just expect the jelly bean before this year ends, the JB is already out there somehow since Jelly bean leaks keeps on pouring.
Android version 4.0.4/Software version T999UVLJ4
Android version 4.0.4/Software version T999UVLJ4
Resolved Media Hub playback issues
Pinch & Zoom backend changes – No visible user changes
OTA and Samsung Kies update
T999UVLH2, T999UVLG1 or T999UVLEM
Device software is not rooted
50% battery life
50 MB available memory (File size of update is 12 MB)
The update is already available via Samsung Kies and OTA, and some users already got the said update. Head over to T-Mobile’s support page http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4446 to get the prior update of your Galaxy S3. Your phone must not been rooted or already installed unofficial firmware or else you can’t get the update.
For people getting the pop up saying to wait. Just download the latest Samsung kies into your computer. Replace the old one and then update from there.
If somehow Kies and OTA ignores your device from updating for they can read your Galaxy S3 system info if it runs with custom ROM and or rooted kernel. This is only optional method if you want to restore your device to T-Mobile’s official firmware. The only downside is you will loose root on this process, but you’ll get the latest update. Who knows, that this could be a preparation for jelly bean update. One can hope. So, it’s up to you..
Again, this process is only for those who has Galaxy S3 currently runs in unofficial firmware or rooted. Typical users who did not touch their phone and currently runs with official firmware you must only update on Kies or via OTA.
Just follow this guide and manually install it, this will not trip the binary flash counter and wipe all stored data,
But backup all important files first. This is for safety precautions and usually doesn’t happen, in-case if you run into problems and you may be forced to perform factory reset. Re-setting the phone will delete all data.
Disclaimer: We shall not be held responsible if anything happens to your device by following this guide. Proceed at your own risk.This procedure is for advance users only, typical users may only upgrade only thru Kies or via OTA and may not use this method.
– Back up all important files before proceeding. Although the Internal memory and microSD card are both left alone during after the flash process for this firmware is a non wipe version. But all your settings and configuration will all be reset. So, be sure to have a back up all of it for safety.
– If your device currently runs with any custom ROM, you may ask any assistance first from your ROM developer on how to safely return back to official stock to get rid of any issues.
– Fully recharge your phone’s battery.
Grab the original stock ROM:
Odin Guide: How to flash T999UVALJ4 Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-T999
1) “Extract” or “unzip” the downloaded stock ROM to get the .tar.md5 file.
2) Run Odin3_v3.07.exe
3) In Odin – DO NOT CHECK the RE-PARTITION checkbox, only both ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F-Reset’ left checked.
4) Click on the PDA button then browse to the folder where you extracted the stock ROM
5. Reboot the phone in download mode: To reboot the Galaxy S3 into download mode , you need to turn the power off. After it completely shut off, just press and hold the Volume Down key, Home button and the Power ON/OFF button simultaneously.
You’ll then need to press the Volume Up to continue. You’ll be prompted into a warning screen and asking you to press “volume up” if you want to continue or volume down to cancel, just simply press volume up to get into download mode. The download mode then displays an Android robot and say’s “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”
5) Once the phone in download mode screen, connect the PC USB cable To Phone. The highlighted ID:COM box is and indication that the device is connected properly to PC. If you still do not get any results, try another USB port on your computer.
6) Click the Start button to begin flashing.
7) Wait until it finishes or watch out for the word “PASS”. Then remove it from PC once completely reboots,.
Optional fix: If you experience bootloops or just stuck on Samsung screen after flashing; You can easily fix these by performing wipe data/factory reset. Just ensure to backup all file first before doing so.
1. Hold Power and Volume Up together, this will switch the device into recovery mode.
2. Release Power after holding it for a second but continue to hold the Volume Up button until recovery menu appears. Use Volume keys to toggle UP and DOWN selection. The power button to enter your selection.
Select wipe cache
Select wipe data/factory reset.