Another Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread firmware update for Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 YP-G70 international version just recently released by Samsung. The new firmware build number is G70XXKPL (GINGERBREAD.XXKPL), this is the most latest update from the previous build G70XXKPH 2.3.6 Gingerbread.
The update is now release in Europe countries and available on Kies and via OTA notification or you can manually check your phone’s settings>about>firmware info and then check for software update.
G70XXKPL Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread
Firmware info: (by typing code *#1234)
Model Number: YP-G70 Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0
Firmware version: 2.3.6 Gingerbread
Kernal Version: 184.108.40.206 se.infra@SEI-27 #2
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XXKPL
Build Date: 4/30/2012 5:42:23 PM
For those who can’t update on Kies and still running on 2.2 froyo, you can still manually upgrade by using the original G70XXKPL stock ROM. The guide below will show you a simple step by step procedure on how to manually flash or install the G70XXKPL Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread firmware on Samsung Galaxy Player YP-G70 or called as Galaxy S Wifi 5.0. On this method, we are using Odin downloader and the original stock ROM G70XXKPL from Samsung’s Kies official firmware released in France.
This procedure can only be applied to a specific variant of Galaxy Player released in Europe countries with product code YP-G70CW. This WILL NOT WORK on other multimedia player like the Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.0 YP-G1CW, Galaxy Player 50 YP-G50CW and the US versions Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 YP-G1CWY and Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 YP-G70C/NAW. So, just check first your device product information before applying this guide, for it will harm your device in no time if you use the ROMs as stated here.
Disclaimer: We shall not be held responsible if anything happens to your device by applying this method. Proceed at your own risk.
– Back up all important files stored on the player, contacts, messages, videos, music etc.
– Make sure your Galaxy player’s battery is fully charge, this will avoid risk of power failure that may result risk of softbricks.
– You need to have Kies installed on your PC/laptop, to have the driver of your player also installed on your computer or grab the driver then disable Kies when running Odin.
– Enable USB Mode: Settings > Applications > Development then select “USB Debugging”
– Use a good and working USB cable for your Galaxy S Wifi 5.0
How to install or Flash G70XXKPL Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread Stock ROM
(Official Firmware Update released May 2012) .
Grab the French stock ROM, just change the text and language settings according desired native language after installing. This packaged includes all European languages.
Product Code: YP-G70CWXEF
Version: Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread
Date: April 30, 2012
Stock Firmware Download:
1. Extract the downloaded file in a separate folder, then you’ll see the two files such as;
SS.DLL (not to be use but do not delete it, its a file extension)
2. Run Odin3 v1.82
3. Click on the PDA button then select and load the
DO NOT mark check the ‘Re-Partition’ checkbox, the F-Reset Time and Auto Reboot are only the ones remained to have check on it.
4. Re-boot the Galaxy Player into download mode: Turn it Off then –
press and hold the “Power key, Volume down and Home” button at the same time
5. Once the ID:COM turns in yellow color, connect the phone to PC. You will then see a message “Added” on Odin’s log-box.
6. Simply, click the “Start” button and wait until the flashing finishes. Do not touch nor interrupt the process to avoid bricking your device.
7. A word “PASS” will then appear in Odin when it’s successfully installed the firmware. Wait until the device completely reboot, then it’s a safe time to unplug it from the computer.
Once the phone completely reboots, perform wipe/factory reset to get a fresher firmware installation get rid of bootloops issues.
1. Hold Power and Volume Up together, this will switch the device into recovery mode.
2. Release Power after holding it for a second but continue to hold the Volume Up button until recovery menu appears.
Select wipe cache
Select wipe data/factory reset.
You may then need to change the language settings or re-configure the APN settings if encountered WiFi connection issues.
That’s it. You can still use this guide for future upgrade with other stock ROM or official firmware build for Samsung Galaxy Player.