Here are the official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update stock firmware for Canada’s Galaxy S5 Edge+ SM-G928W8 models. This is the first Android MM update with released build version G928W8VLU2BPC5. These stock firmware are for those who might have a rooted or a modified Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ SM-G928W8 and were having trouble updating to Marshmallow. Your only last resort to get the said Marshmallow update is by means of using the stock firmware itself.
Marshmallow Update Build G928W8VLU2BPC5 Details:
- Device: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+
- Model number: SM-G928W8
- Android version: 6.0.1 (Marshmallow)
- Android security patch level: April 02, 2016
- Baseband version: G928W8VLU2BPC5
- Kernel version: 3.10.61-7569052
- Build number: MMB29K.G928W8VLU2BPC5
- AP: G928W8VLU2BPC5
- CSC: G928W8OYA2BPC5
- CP: G928W8VLU2BPC5
- OS upgrade – Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
- The new TouchWiz provides enhanced usability and an updated visual design.
- Quick connect helps you easily find and connect to nearby devices and pre-connection.
- Fingerprints are securely protected. An alternative unlock method (pattern,PIN, or password.
- Advanced power saving mode restricts background data and extends battery life.
- A new vibration pattern concept has been applied
Important: These stock firmware is exclusively to be use for Canada’s carrier branded Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ SM-G928W8 version only. DO NOT ever use it on any other Galaxy S6 Edge variant such as the SM-G928P (Sprint), SM-G928A (AT&T), SM-G928T (T-Mobile), SM-G928V (Verizon), SM-G928F and SM-G928I, and including those other international version.
- Make a full backup of all important data stored from your phone and saved it in your computer. I highly recommend this as we are going to perform a full factory data reset, wipe cache to obtain a fresher and clean installation. Don’t be lazy.
- Perform a Full wipe factory data/reset before and after flashing so your phone’s memory cache will be cleaned-up as those remained data out there will cause trouble. This resolves and help to get rid of lag issues once the installation is finished. Read at the bottom of this post on how to perform a factory reset.
- Re-charge your phone’s battery, fully charge just to make sure.
- Use a PC with perfectly working USB serial port.
- Use the supplied USB cable for your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
- Enable USB debugging from your phone’s settings – Settings > About Phone, then scroll down to the build number and tap that number for around 7-times ’til the Developer option appears. Hit back to Home > Settings >Developer option > Enable USB debugging.
- TURN OFF the Reactivation Lock – This is only needed if you already turned-it-ON, from which you cannot modify the system when it’s turned-ON. Go to Settings>Security>Reactivation Lock and then uncheck the Turn Reactivation lock on.
Q: My Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is rooted, will I lose root once installed the official firmware?
If your device is currently rooted you will lose root after flash, but you can still root it again if you want.
Q: Will this method triggers KNOX Warranty counter to 0x1?
No, this is an official and signed Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware released by Samsung, so flashing official firmware will not harm KNOX warranty void flag.
Disclaimer: Use of this method is solely at your own risk! Please proceed with precautions, for we will not take any responsibility if anything happens to your device by using this guide.
How to Manually install the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Firmware?
Grab The Tools:
Odin3_v3.10 (grab it here)
A USB Driver if you have not yet installed Kies 3 (grab it here)
Install the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ USB driver.
Install the USB Driver first to get rid of flashing failures. You may also need to extract the downloaded file which is packed in a (zip) so that you’ll get the (tar.md5) file.
Run and Configure Odin.
Run Odin multi-downloader Odin3_v3.10 on your PC desktop. Watch out the check-boxes options on the right top of Odin, ensure that the ‘Phone Bootloader Update’ (only if your device runs on 4.3), ‘AUTO-REBOOT’ and ‘F.RESET TIME’ checkboxes must be checked. Only the ‘RE-PARTITION’ is unchecked.
Reboot the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge into Download Mode.
To reboot the Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G928W8 into download mode, you need to turn the power off. After it completely shut off, just press and hold the Volume Down key, Home button and the Power ON/OFF button simultaneously.
You should then prompted into a warning screen and asking you to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel, just simply press volume up to get into download mode. The downloads mode then displays an Android robot and say’s “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”
Connect the SGS 6 Edge+ Phone to PC.
Once you already reboot the phone in download mode, simply connect the phone to your PC.
In Odin window – the ID:COM box will turn to blue color and indicates the COM port number and a message says “Added” on a log cat box will prompt you that the device is already detected or recognized by Odin. Your COM port number might be different from mine. If you do not see a COM port number then there’s something missing or wrong. You may read again from the top of this post.
Load the stock G928W8VLU2BPC5 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow stock firmware.
The stock firmware is packed in a single .tar.md5 file only. Simply click on the AP button, then browse to the folder where the file you have previously extracted and then select and load it.
Start Flashing the G928W8VLU2BPC5 stock firmware.
Once if all set and ready to fire-up, hit the “START” button in Odin to begin flashing the stock ROM. Do not ever interrupt the phone while already in flashing progress, like disconnecting the cable or turning off the device. Just wait until it completely finishes.
Wait until you see the PASS!! message.
When the Stock Firmware installation successfully completes, you will then see a word “PASS” in Odin. This indicates that the flashing already finishes, and on the log box it says “All threads completed (succeed 1 / failed 0)”. The phone will just then automatically reboot, then it’s about time to remove it from PC or laptop USB connection.
How to get rid of lag issues and achieved a more stable Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Galaxy S6 Edge plus.
Some folks might miss this part, then there goes this lag problem here and there. This will also affect the battery life performance. So it is much better to perform a full wipe and factory reset once before and after flashing a stock firmware. This will not just avoid getting into any issues, but you can also achieve a cleaner and fresher firmware installation. Just do make sure you all important data has a backup copy and already saved in a safe place before doing this. This process does not cover on any outdated apps that cause incompatibility issues on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS, all you need is find any updates on that particular apps to fixed any issues.
Performing Full Wipe Data/Factory Reset on Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge in Recovery Mode
1. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power button.
2. Use volume keys to select, Up and Down and Power or Home key to select the option
3. Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset using the Home button.
4. Next select the “Wipe Cache Partition”.
5. Lastly, select “Reboot System Now” to reboot your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge G928W8 in Normal mode.
More workarounds if ever encountered:
Some apps has FC’s and lag issues.
Individual apps requires an update prior to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow compatibility or otherwise it just causes the problem. Once the update has made, you might also check on all apps first if it still runs perfectly.