Sprint Galaxy S4 (L720) official Android 4.4.2 update build L720VPUFNG2 stock firmware is now available for those who have had root, custom ROM and recovery and wants to return back their Galaxy S4 to complete stock or official firmware. The 4.4.2 L720VPUFNG2 build now bundled with HD Voice Icon and tGoogle security patches and might also includ several fixes and enhancements from the previous 4.4.2 L720VPUFNAE.
The stock firmware below is only for those who did not get this update through ‘OTA’ over-the-air or even Kies and had faced issues like “Software Update Failed” or “This device is not supported with kies” and any similar errors. So again, if you want to have the 4.4.2 KitKat update installed on your Galaxy S4 just simply grab the L720VPUFNG2 stock firmware below, for this is your other last resort. One more thing, the 4.4.2 update now equipped with a secured bootloader which similarly found on 4.3 updates, some circumstances is that you cannot revert back to the older software update version, for this breaks the bootloader image once gets re-written. So make sure to be aware with that if you are planning to install any ROMs that still based on 4.3 , or 4.2.2. If you are also rooted then you’ll lose root once the 4.4.2 installation has made, that’s because official firmwares wipes-out any modification you have installed in your device.
Upgrade Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 to Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat L720VPUFNG2 (OTA Firmware via Stock Recovery and Odin method)
Disclaimer: This method is used by Android developers and advanced users only. If ever this is your first time heard about this procedure, please make a careful research first before proceeding. We shall not be held any responsibility if anything happens to your device from using this guide. Proceed at your own risk!
Warning: This stock ROM is only compatible for Samsung Galaxy S4 with SPH-L720 (Sprint) specific model only. Do not ever try to use this firmware on other Samsung Galaxy S4 variants.
Q: Will I lose root once using this method?
A: Yes, this will restore your device into official firmware.
Q: Can I install root again once upgraded to this version?
A: Yes, this firmware build can be rooted using CF-Auto-root, but be aware about the new KNOX security platform hidden inside the system that completely voids the warranty of your device once gets tripped by means of rooting or installing any custom recovery. This sets “KNOX warranty Void: 0×1 from 0×0″ (You can see this when you set your device in download mode).
Download the original L720VPUFNG2 Stock Firmware:
Device Name: Samsung Galaxy S 4
Model number – SPH-L720
Android Version – 4.4.2 (KitKat)
Baseband Version L720VPUFNG2
Kernel Version – 3.4.0-2162929
Build Number – KOT49H.L720VPUFNG2
CSC – L720SPTFNG2
Build Date – 09, July 2014
Release Date – 31, July 2014
Stock Odin Firmware L720VPUFNG2: Download
Before you proceed prepare these necessary things as follows so you’ll not screw-up your phone:
– If your phone is currently rooted or runs with custom ROM, including custom recovery and modified kernel and any other unsigned system images. You must have reverted back your Galaxy S4 to the official 4.4.2 L720VPUFNAE firmware, unless or otherwise you’ll only get “Authentication” error or failure upon installation.
– Create a back-up all your personal data, like: Contacts, Messages, Applications, Pictures and Videos, so that you will not lost it just in-case something might went wrong after the update.
– Make sure that your Galaxy S4 battery is fully re-charge to ensure stability and to get rid pf power failure issues while updating.
– Close all softwares, such as KIES suite, Antivirus, firewalls, to prevent the possible conflicts.
– Prepare a personal computer or laptop with Windows OS.
Stock Recovery Flashing Procedures:
– Your device must have no root, no custom recoveries for it will not worked with any custom recoveries.
– Ensure that your Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) fully runs with official 4.4.2 L720VPUFNAE firmware so that your phone got the stock recovery this is needed so you can flash the OTA update firmware file.
– Download the OTA file and then copy it to your SD card. You can rename the OTA update firmware to “update.zip” if you want.
– Reboot your Galaxy S4 in recovery mode. Hold down Volume Up+ Home+Power button.
– Once in recovery, scroll down and choose “Apply Update from SD card”. Locate and select the update file then simply hit install.
– Wait ’til the flashing finishes, it reboots a couple of times.
Odin Flashing Procedures:
1) Extract the downloaded firmware or stock ROM. Use winzip, 7zip,winrar or any decompressing program you have in your computer.
2) Run Odin Downloader v3.07 flasher program.
3) Just click on the PDA button then select and load the binary image.
DO NOT check ‘Re-Partition’ option.
leave these checked: Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes.
4) Reboot the Galaxy S4 into Download Mode: Turn it Off first. Now Press and hold the Volume Down, HOME and Power ON button at the same time). You will then presented into a “Warning Message” screen, just press the Volume Up to continue. Once the Android robot and a “Downloading” message appears.
5) Connect USB data cable to Phone. The ID:COM box will highlight and turn to a bluish color when the phone is properly connected and already recognized with Odin.
6) Tick the ‘START’ button when all is set and ready to begin flashing.
7) DO NOT Interrupt, touch nor do anything when the phone is already in flashing progress mode. You’ll messed up the phone if you accidentally interfere the installation. Wait until a word “PASS” appears on the left side of the Odin screen, it is an indication that the installation successfully completes. (If you get failed errors, check the USB connection condition, repeat the whole process)
8.Wait until the phone completely reboots, then unplug it from PC.
Do factory reset again after flashing.
This is only optional just in-case you’ll experience bootloops and lag issues after flashing.
Press and hold Volume Up+ Home+Power button, then select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset, to gain a fresh firmware installed.