Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 4.4.2 KitKat update L710VPUDND8 or L710VPUCND8 has just released. Those who might need the official 4.4.2 KitKat Stock Firmware can grab it now and manually flashed using Odin. The L710VPUDND8 is a direct upgrade from previous firmware build 4.3 L710VPUCMK3.
If your device is currently rooted you will lose root after flash, but you can still root it again if you want. CF-Auto Root has worked on 4.4.2 L710VPUDND8, and CWM Touch 184.108.40.206 for those who need a custom recovery.
L710VPUDND8 4.4.2 KitKat Changelog:
- Android version 4.4.2, KitKat
- New Lock Screen Access
- Media Controls – full-screen album art and media controls when listening to music
- Camera Shortcut – access the Camera application right from the lock screen
- SMS App Chooser – select a default application for sending and receiving SMS text messages
- Restyled Status and Navigation Bars – status and navigation bars are translucent and can sit on top of apps, along with simplified status bar icons
- Consolidated Location Settings – location services are integrated and more detailed by new Location menu
- Expanded Emoji Icons
- Wireless Printing – supports printing over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Prevention Information pop-up message is suppressed.
Changelog addressed by Samsung.
Disclaimer: Use of this method is solely at your own risk! Please proceed with precautions, for we will not take any responsibility if anything happens to your device by using this guide.
Important Reminders before Flashing Stock ROM
- Make sure that your Galaxy S3′s battery is fully charge.
- Stock ROM packages comes in two formats the ‘Full-Wipe’ (delete your stored data after flashing) and the ‘Non-Wipe’ (it doesn’t delete your phone’s stored data) but it is highly recommended to make a back up all important files stored from your phone’s internal memory – contacts, messages, etc. before flashing no-matter if it is Full-WIpe or Non-Wipe, just to be safe and ensure that your stored data are in safe if something went wrong during the flashing process.
- Use a PC or laptop that runs in Windows OS, with a good and perfectly working USB serial port. Odin will not work on MAC OS.
- Use the supplied USB cable for your Galaxy S3.
- Enable USB debugging from your phone’s settings. Go to Settings >About Device> Look for the build number, then tap that build number for about 7-times until a message pop-up says you are now a developer.
- Ensure that KIES is closed and not running in the system tray! Kies and Odin are both created by Samsung but Kies will interrupt and doesn’t like Odin, it will block you from flashing.
The Android 4.3 and 4.4.2 now comes with a new protected bootloader that might cause issues when you try to downgrade to the old software updates. This also applies if you are planning into rooting and installing any custom recovery once you are on 4.4.2, so please be aware with that.
Download the needed tools for flashing
OTA stock firmware 4.4.2: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_l710/96601bec350a62b3083a86270fcdfc7a359fbe72.USER_L710_SPR_MK3_to_ND8_Update_FWD.zip [Thank’s to CNexus]
L710VPUDND8 4.4.2 KitKat Full Stock Firmware: (Download)
Install the USB Driver first to get rid of flashing failures. Also need to extract the downloaded file which is packed in zip or rar files, so that you’ll get the tar.md5 file.
Installing stock OTA L710VPUDND8 4.4.2 via stock recovery
1. Make sure you running on stock 4.3 L710VPUCMK3, so you can flashed the file in stock recovery. The Stock OTA firmware will not work in custom recovery.
2. Copy the downloaded stock OTA L710VPUCND8 to the SD card.
3. Reboot your galaxy S3 in recovery (Volume Up+Home+Power) buttons.
4. Choose Apply Update from SD card.
5. Locate the file from the SD card then lastly install the OTA update L710VPUCND8.
Installing the Full Stock 4.4.2 KitKat L710VPUDND8 Firmware
Run and Configure Odin
Run Odin downloader Odin3_v3.09 on your PC desktop. Watch out the check-boxes options on the right top of Odin, ensure that the ‘RE-PARTITION’ is unchecked, only the ‘AUTO-REBOOT and ‘F.RESET TIME’ checkboxes are both remained checked.
Reboot your Galaxy S3 into Download Mode
To reboot the Galaxy S3 into download mode , you need to turn the power off. After it completely shut off, just press and hold the Volume Down key, Home button and thePower ON/OFF button simultaneously.
You should then prompted into a warning screen and asking you to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel, just simply press volume up to get into download mode. The download mode then displays an Android robot and say’s “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”
Connect your Phone to PC or Laptop
Once you already reboot the phone in download mode, simply connect the phone to your PC or laptop USB.
In Odin window – the ID:COM box will turn to blue color and indicates the COM port numberand a word “Added” on a log box will prompt you that the device is already detected or recognized by Odin. Your COM port number might be different from mine. If you do not see a COM port number then there’s something missing or wrong. You may read again from the top of this post.
Load the stock 4.4.2 L710VPUCND8 firmware file
T he stock ROM is pack in One .tar.md5 file only. Now, you need to just simply click on the AP button, then browse to the folder where the file you have previously extracted and then select and load it.
Start Flashing or Installing the L710VPUDND8 stock ROM
Once if all set and ready to fire-up, hit the “START” button in Odin to begin flashing the stockROM.
Do not ever interrupt the phone while already in flashing progress, like disconnecting the cable or turning off the device. Just wait until it completely finish.
Wait ’till it PASS!!
When the Stock ROM installation successfully completes, you will then see a word “PASS” in Odin. This indicates that the flashing was already finish, and on the log box it says “All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)”. The phone will just then automatically reboot, then it’s time to remove it from PC or laptop USB connection.
Confirm if you successfully installed the stock firmware
Confirm your fresh firmware installed by typing *#1234# or
Go to Settings>About Phone>Firmware info.
You can also do factory reset by dialing *2767*3855#.
Possible errors that you may encountered, this is based on my own experience while flashing stock ROM on Samsung Android devices. These are just a few hints on how to resolved it.
Q: I got an error message that says “Set-up connection Failed” ?
A: 1. Check your USB connection from the phone to PC,
2. Connect to another PC USB port
3. Check and try to another USB cable
4. Re-install the USB driver.
Q: Odin just suddenly stuck in the middle of nowhere while in flashing progress, It isn’t responding at all?
A: Check for possible program that might interrupt the process, like disabling the anti-virus and closing any running programs.
Try to use another PC or laptop,
Q: I experienced bootloop or the phone just stuck on Welcome Logo (phone always stop at bootanimation) and it won’t boot normally?
A: You can fix it via recovery mode option, do this:
Boot in recovery mode
1. Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power button.
2. Use volume keys to select, Up and Down and Power or Home key to select the option
3. Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset using the Home button.
4. Next select the Wipe Cache Partition
5. Lastly, select Reboot System Now to reboot your Galaxy S3 in Normal mode.
Confirm if you sussefully upgraded to L710VPUDND8 Official 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade on your Sprint Galaxy S III SPH-L710.
That’s it! Any further questions, just drop it on our comment form below.