Here goes the stock firmware build L720TVPUBNG5 4.4.2 for Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720T Tri-Band. The stock firmware are only for those who had been done into rooting, installed custom recovery, and custom ROMs, but wants to return back to stock official firmware. This is also useful in-case you might running into some issues like bootloops, stuck at welcome screen logo while setting-up any unsigned system images. The L720TVPUBNG5 4.4.2 is an update from the first 4.4.2 update build L720TVPUBNC6 that brings the HD Voice Icon support, International Wi-Fi Calling support and Google security patches, according to Sprint.
Technical Details of L720TVPUBNG5 4.4.2
Device Samsung Galaxy S4 with Sparks
Model numberr SPH-L720T
Android version 4.4.2
Baseband version L720TVPUBNG5
Kernel version 3.4.0-2345871 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jul 31 12:52:34 KST 2014
Build number KOT49H.L720TVPUBNG5
SE for Android status – Enforcing
Again, the stock firmware L720TVPUBNG5 4.4.2 us referring to the Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720T, the ‘T’ referring to LTE Tri-band. The stock firmware cannot be used for the original non-tri-band Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH L720 as you may noticed it uses a different firmware build version. The Galaxy S4 SPH-L720T is Sprint revision of the Galaxy S4 giving it an new model number to SPH-L720T.
Disclaimer: This method is used by Android developers and advanced users only. If ever this is your first time heard about this procedure, please make a careful research first before proceeding. We shall not be held any responsibility if anything happens to your device from using this guide. Proceed at your own risk!
Warning: This stock ROM is only compatible for Samsung Galaxy S4 with SPH-L720T (Sprint) specific model only. Do not ever try to use this firmware on Samsung Galaxy S4 Galaxy S4 with SPH-L720 and any other variants.
Before you proceed prepare these necessary things as follows so you’ll not screw-up your phone:
– Recharge the phone.
– Create a back-up all your personal data, like: Contacts, Messages, Applications, Pictures and Videos, so that you will not lost it just in-case something might went wrong after the update.
– Make sure that your Galaxy S4 battery is fully re-charge to ensure stability and to get rid pf power failure issues while updating.
– Close all softwares, such as KIES suite, Antivirus, firewalls, to prevent the possible conflicts.
– Prepare a personal computer or laptop with Windows OS.
– Use the supplied USB cable for your Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720T.
– Enable USB debugging from your phone’s settings – Settings>>About Phone>> then scroll down to the build number and tap that number for around 7-times ’til the Developer option appear.
Odin Flashing Procedures:
1) Extract the downloaded firmware or stock ROM. Use winzip, 7zip,winrar or any decompressing program you have in your computer.
2) Run Odin Downloader v3.07 flasher program.
3) Just click on the PDA button then select and load the binary image.
DO NOT check ‘Re-Partition’ option.
leave these checked: Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes.
4) Reboot the Galaxy S4 into Download Mode: Turn it Off first. Now Press and hold the Volume Down, HOME and Power ON button at the same time). You will then presented into a “Warning Message” screen, just press the Volume Up to continue. Once the Android robot and a “Downloading” message appears.
5) Connect USB data cable to Phone. The ID:COM box will highlight and turn to a bluish color when the phone is properly connected and already recognized with Odin.
6) Tick the ‘START’ button when all is set and ready to begin flashing.
7) DO NOT Interrupt, touch nor do anything when the phone is already in flashing progress mode. You’ll messed up the phone if you accidentally interfere the installation. Wait until a word “PASS” appears on the left side of the Odin screen, it is an indication that the installation successfully completes. (If you get failed errors, check the USB connection condition, repeat the whole process)
8.Wait until the phone completely reboots, then unplug it from PC.
Do factory reset again after flashing.
This is only optional if in-case you’ll experience bootloop and lag issues after flashing.
Press and hold Volume Up+ Home+Power button, then select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset, to gain a fresh firmware installed.
How to Root L720TVPUBNG5 4.4.2
To root the L720TVPUBNG5 4.4.2 you may use CF-Auto Root which can be found here which technically proven to work with the NG5 update. If you might have used it before the you may simply load it again in Odin’s PDA button. But for those who did not root the phone before, you might need to know that rooting will trip KNOX security flag counter and it voids the phone’s service warranty. So make sure to gather more info and make a careful research first before diving into the plunge. You may start seeking here about how to root and how it worked. So that’s it.