The firmware build version T989UVLH1 ICS 4.0.4 is the latest release by Samsung for T-Mobile Galaxy S2 version SGH-T989. An inclusion of “ISIS/NFC” is the highlight of this update and some bug fixes as always expected. I have no idea about ISIS, I just heard about it that its kinda payment method same as Google Wallet.
Anyway, this guide is only for those who can’t update their Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989 via Kies or OTA (over the air) for some reasons that their devices already runs with unofficial firmware. That’s because T-Mobile and Samsung will not send any updates on these devices anymore.
Again, I’m talking to those who runs with any unofficial ROM and wanted to return back to T-Mobile’s original firmware. Typical users who still currently runs with official firmware like – T989UVLE1, T989UVKL1 and T989UVKID may ONLY UPDATE via OTA or Kies and do not try this method. Here’s T-Mobile official support guide for you: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3029
To those who’s confused about if its android 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 ice cream sandwich or either already a 4.1.1 Jelly Bean version. It’s already confirmed as 4.0.4 Ice cream sandwich and not 4.0.3 which was T-Mobile technical support team stated on their site. I don’t know whats goi’n on with them, it’s either they don’t tried the firmware first before they released it to the public (just my guess).
Here’s the screenshots of the firmware info:
(taking screenshots now change with holding down both Power and Home Key instead from previous button combination which is Volume Down and Power Keys).
Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989
Country: United States
Latest firmware: T989UVLH1/T989TMBLH1/T989UVLH1/T989UVLH1
Kernel version: 3.0.8
Build/released: 8/13/2012 3:58:53 PM
Some noticeable changes and features of T989UVLH1
- More added menus
- Easy accessible Contacts under the dial screen.
- Wi-Fi calling icon got a new look.
- Lag issues fixed and No freezing
- Time zone glitch also fixed
- A lot better memory performance
- Battery life was also improved
How to install back Official Android ICS 4.0.4 T989UVALH1 Ice Cream Sandwich on SGH-T989 Galaxy S II T-Mobile.
This method is called manual flashing by using Odin downloader and the original stock firmware, for we can’t upgrade on kies or OTA anymore after installing unofficial firmware on our devices previously.
Disclaimer: We shall not be held responsible if anything happens to your device by following this guide. Proceed at your own risk.This procedure is for advance users only, typical users may only upgrade only thru Kies or via OTA and may not use this method.
– Back up all important files before proceeding. Although the Internal memory and microSD card are both left alone during after the flash process for this firmware is a non wipe version. But all your settings and configuration will all be reset. So, be sure to have a back up all of it for safety.
– If your device currently runs with any custom ROM, you may ask any assistance first from your ROM developer on how to safely return back to official stock to get rid of any issues.
– Fully recharge your phone’s battery.
– Use Windows based OSX PC/laptop, Odin will not work on MAC OSX
– Perform Wipe/Data factory reset to get rid of flashing error issues (just ensure you already have aback-up of all important files from your phone)
Grab the original stock ROM:
Odin Flasher Guide: T989UVALH1 Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-T-999
1) “Extract” or “unzip” the downloaded stock ROM to get the .tar.md5 file.
2) Run Odin3_v3.07.exe on PC desktop
3) In Odin – DO NOT CHECK the RE-PARTITION checkbox, only both ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F-Reset’ left checked.
4) Click on the PDA button then browse to the folder where you extracted the stock ROM
5. Reboot the phone in download mode: To reboot the Galaxy S3 into download mode , you need to turn the power off. After it completely shut off, just press and hold the Volume Down key, Home button and the Power ON/OFF button simultaneously.
You’ll then need to press the Volume Up to continue. You’ll be prompted into a warning screen and asking you to press “volume up” if you want to continue or volume down to cancel, just simply press volume up to get into download mode. The download mode then displays an Android robot and say’s “Downloading.. Do not turn off target!!”
5) Once the phone in download mode screen, connect the PC USB cable To Phone. In Odin, the ID:COM box will change its color and its an indication that the device is connected properly to PC. If you still do not get any results, try another USB port on your computer.
6) Click the Start button to begin flashing.
7) Wait until it finishes or watch out for the word “PASS”.
Once the phone completely reboots, perform wipe/factory reset to get a fresher firmware installation.
1. Hold Power and Volume Up together, this will switch the device into recovery mode.
2. Release Power after holding it for a second but continue to hold the Volume Up button until recovery menu appears.
Select wipe cache
Select wipe data/factory reset.
That’s all! your Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989 now fully restored to the original Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.